Tuesday, 15 December 2009

In the Land of the Northern Lights

I am very happy. I have finally tracked down an actual DVD that I can buy of Joanna Lumley's journey into the Arctic circle. I watched it a year ago and fell in love entirely. With Norway, the people there, the Northern Lights, and with her. When I was young I dreamed of being an explorer, I read the Swallows & Amazons books constantly and was transported into my own world of high adventure and new discoveries.

Watching this documentary, you're watching someone who is grown up and famous, reverting back to the childhood dream mode... and actually fulfilling these dreams. Never once saying, "Hmm, this must seem silly to you." Oh the goosebumps when she steps into the Arctic Circle for the first time, what to speak of seeing the Lights themselves.

I love watching this for the beauty of the film itself, and for Joanna Lumley, who is simply fantastic with her dignified childish wonder, and for the hope it gives me that there need never be a "use by" date on childhood dreams.

If you haven't seen it, you should. The DVD is available on Amazon at last. But the whole documentary is now on Youtube. First part here:

No comments: