Thursday, 2 July 2009

Techno Goodies

l have a shiny new toy!

I'm writing this blog post by hand. It's taking a little longer than usual... I'm still kind of mastering it and working out how to make it do what I want it to do, rather than what it wants to. Harder than expected at times.

So what is it? A Bamboo tablet is what it is.


My treat to myself as part of finishing uni and being out in the big world starting off on my own. I've decided a tablet would be great to use with my photo and film editing as well as the design work that seems determined to come my way.

It may be tricky to use right now, and some of software is being a little glitchy, but I love it already. I edited my first photo with it today, it's so much less fiddly than editing by finger and touchpad as I've been doing for the past year or so. I also love using it to browse through computer and online, and just in general. There's something so magic about writing with a piece of plastic and seeing it appear on-screen. Practice is still much needed though. What you're reading is edited. If I don't edit, it ends aup looking a litIle more like this. Oh, that wasn't so bad. See, I'm improving already!

6 comments:

danseusesabine said...

What a great (and well-deserved!) treat =) I've always wanted a tablet, but haven't even had the chance to really play with one. Enjoy! Looking forward to seeing what kind of photo editing you can do with it.

Tammy said...

This looks really cool! Does it work with all programs, like Photoshop?

Evie.E said...

I'm looking forward to seeing how it'll improve my editing!

Tammy: So far it works with most things. There's a glitch with photoshop that I'm trying to fix, where it does everything but actually paint, which kind of defeats the purpose really. But the eraser works and most of my work is masks, so I've been able to do pretty much anything I would otherwise, and I'm hoping to have it fixed soon. I love love it so far!

SillyBoy said...

Ooh, that looks nice.
I used to have a cheapo Wacom tablet, but I never really got the hang of it. Alas, years of professional mouse-pushing have made it hard for me to hold a pen for very long.
And crumbs! I thought you had a mouse, I didn't realise you'd been editing with a touchpad! However did you manage?

becky said...

But it *is* a magic touchpad!

The tablet is very pretty, it needs a name.

Dot, should be its name, I think.

Evie.E said...

Hehe, Dot it is then!

And I doooo have a mouse... somewhere. But the impreciseness of it annoyed me when editing. Trying to make a tiny tiny detailed movement with a huge hunk of plastic didn't work for me. So I got used to editing by touchpad. And now I have a pen. Yay!