Sunday, 12 July 2009

Page after Page - a review/love letter

Last Thursday I spent an hour or so reading in my favourite Waterstones (the 5 floor store on Piccadilly, my own little heaven), a luxury I haven't indulged in for a very long time. I devoured photography books cover to cover, and then moved on to the writing books. The writing section is usually dangerous for me and my decreasing bank-balance, but I thought this time I'd be safe, seeing as I now have most of the exciting books in that section. I was wrong. I found one I'd never seen before, and fell in love at first sight. By the time I'd finished reading the table of contents I knew I needed it.

The book in question is Page after Page, by Heather Sellers. It's such a cute size, perfect to carry around and read anywhere. The cover is pretty, and there are soft designs around the edge of every page, a different design for each of the three sections. And the writing is friendly, encouraging and genuinely funny. As with every writing book out there, there are also writing exercises. I'm not usually particularly excited by writing exercises, but these I love. They're... different somehow. They range from the unforgivingly practical, to the sumptuously luxurious.

Like I said, I have every writing book there is to be had. Okay, so that's a rather large exaggeration. But I do have a lot, many that I love and that are full of inspiration. But more than any of them, even books like The Right to Write and Writing Down the Bones, this book makes me want to write. Those books make me want to have become a writer, this book makes me want to actually do the writing, right now. Instead of writing as a writer who has "made it" in the business and is informing us mortals how to do so too, Heather Sellers writes as a normal person continuing with the same challenges that we do every day, and showing how she gets past them. She makes it suddenly seem so real and doable.

And I love, love the way she uses words. The way she writes is like a cross between how I write, and how I want to write. It makes me think, "Hey, you know what? I can do that!". And not just think it. Start it. For the first time, I think ever, when I came home today from work... a heavy day of being short-staffed and moving furniture and fixtures around a store that is mostly a building site right now... I got home, changed out of my work clothes, and before anything else, I sat down and started writing. There was nothing else I wanted to do quite as much.

I'm hoping this is the start of new habits, I'm taking it a day at a time. Today I wrote, and I'm celebrating. Tomorrow, hopefully I'll write again, and I'll celebrate that also. And the next day, well, we'll see!

1 comment:

becky said...

And already your writing is improving, I think! At least, you can tell you're excited about doing it just from reading this post! And you've got lots of delicious words.

This is a very good review, too, it makes me really want to read Page After Page!

Hurrah for writing! Let's be writers. xxx