Wednesday, 1 July 2009

Habits

I want to get back my good habits. After my 37 days challenge, I kept my no late-night internet rule firmly in place all the way until last week. I was going to bed early (well, before midnight) and for the first time that I can remember, 9am became sleeping in for me. I was being productive, even writing and drawing.

But now I've been at home with my family, and with a TV, and with working internet. Every time I come back here to a TV, I double and triple my determination not to have one in my own place. Ever. I hate it and I love it and I hate it. I could, and have, spent entire days watching endless reruns of Law & Order, Diagnosis Murder, Murder She Wrote... and other daytime TV. One hour goes past, and another, and another. I don't notice until I realise it's nearly bedtime. And then it's past bedtime. And then it's 2 or 3am. And then I sleep in the next day until 11, and the whole thing starts again.

The internet is also swallowing my time and energy again. I forgot why it was that I chose it as the thing to quit for my 37 days. As of tonight I'm back on my not past 10pm rule.

I want to write again. I've begun the first assignment for my Writer's Bureau course and can't wait to get started properly and really take my writing seriously. I want to be published, and make money from my writing. There's no reason why not.

I've also begun working on my own website for my photography, and for my videos when I have anything I actually want to show. When I say "I" have, I mean I've started bullying my brother into building it for me, which is only fair seeing as my very basic foundation of one was working until he started playing around with the database.. or whatever it was he messed with. Anyway. That should be up and running in a week or so, I can't wait!

I'm full of plans and ideas. Now I just have to pull myself away from the TV for long enough to carry them out.

Oh, and as part of my habit-forming effort I am going to attempt a post a day here. NaBloPoMo is the official hangout spot for bloggers trying to do this. I tried it last November, but what with deadlines and work I missed about a week's worth of posts. Lets see what I can do this time. Hopefully without sacrificing quality for quantity.

No comments: