Monday, 15 June 2009

Venice - and lots of pictures

And I'm back.

Venice was loovely, so beautiful. I wasn't there for nearly long enough. I want to go back already. It was my first time travelling completely on my own. I met my mum and friends once I was there, but the flight and the first trip finding my way through Venice was entirely my own adventure.


We were staying just outside Venice itself, a bus and boat ride away from the centre, although in our case we had a surreal trip into Venice where we walked through endless fields and the same bus driver kept refusing to pick us up and driving off with with his doors open so we could see him laughing at us, so bizarre. I went into a supermarket and asked them to call us a taxi and we got there in the end. My friends were meant to be going into Venice on the same morning, they didn't get there that day because they ran into the same bus driver. I don't think he's a real driver, I think he's bored and drives around the same route again and again in a fake bus in order to confuse as many disoriented travellers as possible. Just my suspicion.


We were staying right on the sea, you could see it from our balcony. A beautiful sandy beach, private to the place we were staying, so completely uncrowded. The weather forecasts all said rain, rain, rain, thunder, so I had a huge amount of layers and warmish things. It ended up being incredibly gorgeous weather every day. Some mornings were a little hazy, but it would burn off by lunchtime.


And Venice itself! I have to admit I didn't actually expect it to look like Venice is supposed to. I expected it to have a canal through the middle and lots of modernness, through which you may be able to see some hints of the olden days. I was so wrong, it's a gorgeous twisting maze of alleys, canals and bridges and filled with boats and gondolas.


My mum and I wandered through the alleys, exploring all the little shops of the most incredible glasswork. I've never seen anything so intricate in my life. And the masks! I fell in love with the masks. I bought one, which I still have to take a photo of. A pretty half face pale blue and silver one with a huge blue feather and lots of glitter.


All in all, it was a lot of fun.

But amazing and gorgeous as it was, it was still pretty hectic, and when I got home I realised I hadn't quite recovered from the final pressures of uni and needed a complete escape for a while, so I begged the weekend off work and ran away to stay with Becky in Norfolk for a week. Which was a lot a lot of fun and did me the world of good... but with the amount of photos we took, that's another blog post.

3 comments:

becky said...

Oh, oh, pretty!

I loove the photos of the canals in the set, they look so beautiful together!

And I love this post too, am glad you're posting again!

xxx

Evie.E said...

Thank you my lovely!

I'm happy with that set, candy-coloured Venice, hehe. And I'm happy to be posting again also! I've missed it. I'm going to try to get back into the swing of it again now that I have a little more freedom.

xxx

loopsie said...

Yes, Venice looks as it promises to, minus all the tourists, that is. But once you bend down the alleyway, it is the real deal. Great vintage effects on the pics though!