Monday, 9 March 2009

A Hitchcockian Dissertation

So.. my dissertation has suddenly decided to begin being written at long last... after it being on strike for the last.... um.... more months than I care to work out. (I prefer to blame the dissertation itself than my own procrastination you see, there's nothing I can do about it if the writing is on strike. Not my fault, see?) It turns out that it wanted to be written about Hitchcock, and the swarm of remakes of his films, something I hadn't even thought of considering before watching "Paul Merton looks at Alfred Hitchcock" last week.

I've grown up loving everything Paul Merton. It has usually been comedy, but more recently he's been doing documentaries, which I love just as much, if not more. His style of filmmaking is so entertaining that it tricks you into taking in all sorts of information without realising that you've learned things. He has the greatest respect for his subjects, and yet manages to keep his documentaries light and fun, with touches of his own brand of silliness thrown in.

Anyway, something about this new (for me) insight on Hitchcock and his work made me think about the films differently, and when I next sat down to stress about my lack of dissertation it's what appeared in my head. So here I am a week later, finally with 500 words written (out of 10,000... eep), and a properly formatted bibliography of as yet mostly unread books. And I'm a lot more positive about it all though. And happy about my subject. I'm looking forward to looking at these great films in more detail!

Oh, and after watching the first of my Hitchcock selection I've fallen a little bit in love with them. The very very Britishness of them especially. The accents, the properness of everyone (the murderer who, when he's cornered with no escape, good naturedly offers the police a drink). The perfect hair that shines, on both men and women. And the clothes! Grace Kelly's dress at the start of Dial M for Murder especially, I want it very very much!

I wish it was still normal to dress up like this these days, it seems a great pity that we don't have the excuse:

2 comments:

becky said...

Have you watched Mad Men?

Glad the dissertation is starting to form, hurrah.

I love the clipped accents in 40s/50s films the most. And have you seen To Catch a Theif? Grace Kelly (why can't I say that anymore without thinking Mika? Rubbish) has very pretty dresses in that, too.

Also, I read today that 24 has a lot of stuff stolen from Hitchcock films, but it didn't elaborate, so probably won't help the disertation. I'd never really noticed!

PS: I've re-started my blog, yay.

SisterJulia said...

Grace Kelly looks so gorgeous in those shots. I don't think I've ever seen a red dress look so demure.