Friday, 13 March 2009

Rear Window, and actors.

Casting went well yesterday. We have actors! I'm happy. They're perfect. After a full day of auditions, we ended up with the right kind of difficulty.. having to choose between too many wonderful possibilities. We're still in need of a location, something we have to work on fast. Our original location fell through and we need to find a cafe to film in. But after yesterday I can't help but feel positive about it.

Today though, my focus is my dissertation. Time is running out on that one. I watched Rear Window last night for analysis purposes, my first time watching it all the way through. I like it very much.


My nerves did stand it okay, but I haven't watched Psycho in a while, so maybe that's why. I think that'll be tonight's film.

My favorite part of this film (apart from the story, suspense, characters and all that of course) is Grace Kelly's magic suitcase. It's like Mary Poppin's carpet bag, but with silk instead of pot-plants and mirrors. Oh how I wish I could pack this lightly when I go somewhere overnight. And look this glamorous in the process.

I need to watch a Hitchcock film without Grace Kelly and her beautiful wardrobe. I think it distracts me from the point of watching the films in the first place. That said, I loved almost everything about this film. It's refreshing to watch a film that takes its time to say what it wants, in the speed that it wants. So rare in these days of split-second editing.

I find it fascinating to see how Hitchcock dealt with the limitations of technology in his time. Doing effects is so relatively simple these days. In his time they had to put a lot more effort into making the film look the way that he wanted it to. When you have to build sets around unmovable cameras, set up complex rigs to allow you to pull the camera back and zoom out, or have giant wine glasses specially made to sit in the foreground of a shot to trick perspective, every shot becomes extremely purposeful. Such a contrast with the way that I've been taught in my "state-of-the-art" film production courses. We're being taught how to tweak things on screen. If you can't get it on the day, create it afterwards.

I want to learn to visualise a film the way that Hitchcock did, and to believe in my ideas so firmly that I'll happily go to the lengths that he did to recreate what he saw in his mind's eye. If he could accomplish what he did with the technology available to him at the time, just imagine what is possible now.

1 comment:

becky said...

Did you watch Psycho in the end?

I love the suitcase!! I managed to find Rear Window on sky last week, I recorded it but haven't got around to watching it yet. Think I will today though!

And I liked the bit you wrote about the techniques! I think that despite the advances in technology though, people get carried away with effects and dramatic storylines and what they can write to become a hollywood blockbuster, that the characters and the story tend to get a bit lost.

I'm off to watch Paris, Je T'aime now and fall in love with Paris agaaain! xxx