Saturday, 28 March 2009

37 Days

I've taken on the 37 days challenge.

37days challenge March 27 – May 3, 2009

"I, Vrinda, being of kinda sound mind and body, have willingly decided to do one thing consistently every single day for the next 37 days. C’mon, self, it’s just 37 days. The one thing I will do every day is this:
Disconnect from the internet at no later than 10pm every night.

I’m not going to pick two things or nine things because that will dilute my focus –- just one thing. One. One simple action. An action, not a goal. An action, not a value. An action, not a wish. Something I can DO.

I’m doing this challenge at this time because I waste hours and hours and hours of my life mindlessly clicking from page to page and want to make a conscious decision to change this pattern.

I’ve chosen this particular daily action because I believe if I do it consistently for 37 days with no (NONE, ZERO, ZIP) exceptions, I will:
Find the time to do all the small, and big, things that I long to have the chance to do. I will have time to read, draw, listen to music as more than background noise. Do my uni work with the appropriate level of focus. And I will be able to once more remember what my own thoughts sound like.

If I should fail, I won’t blame anyone but myself (not even my partner, that idiot with 29 items in the express lane at the Piggly Wiggly, the IRS (so needy!), the people who make frosted Pop Tarts and Lofthouse Cookies, or Fate).

I also realize that this contract is solely with myself and carries no rewards, penalties or punishments other than those associated with the reflection of the strength of my character.
New things will happen for me.

I’m ready."


When choosing my challenge there were so, so many things that I felt I "should" do, and things I do want to do, but how to prioritise? What I kept coming back to was the fact that I have no time during the day to do all these little things. So, after much deliberation, I settled on my one thing.

Every night I have to be off the internet, preferably off the computer also(but that's a little implausable with deadlines looming) by 10 o'clock each night. That gives me an hour to do whatever I like, and an hour to wind down and still do what I like before going to bed at a reasonable time.

I hate to say it, but this is actually a big challenge for me. I tend to think, ah, just one more link, just one more post, just one more comment... and then suddenly it's 2am. I lose most of the next morning because I can't get up as early as I'd like, and I lose the evening through more random browsing, then go to bed late, then I lose the next morning... I want to break the cycle.

At this moment 10 o'clock is 28 minutes away and I'm typing furiously to finish this and check my mail before I have to switch off. But I'm looking forward to it as well. I'm looking forward to having my own time that isn't leached away by colourful pixels on a screen... (To those people I would otherwise be talking to online, that doesn't mean I don't want to talk to you! You're not counted as leaching colourful pixels, promise!! xx)

Oops, running out of time. I'll write a proper post tomorrow with all the things non-challenge related things I wanted to say in this one.

But for now, goodnight!

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Good choice for your one thing! I try to have an internet fast each year. It usually falls during December for some reason. It has become increasingly difficult as most correspondence is through email but it is amazing how I am able to establish good rhythms in my life when I am not being distracted by one more link.

I'll keep checking in to see how you are doing.

becky said...

Ooh, so that's why you haven't been around!! Good luuuck, you seem to be doing well so far! xxx