Monday, 2 February 2009

Snow Day!

On my way home from work last night the snow began to fall. This in itself is a big event for Central London. I hoped it would settle at least a little and give me chance to grab a couple snaps before it melted away mid-morning. I got more than I bargained for! Within minutes it had stuck, mostly on me waiting at the bus stop. By the time I got home it was several inches deep (again, for England.... big deal! Last time I remember more than an inch of snow was 2 years ago) so I rushed inside, changed my sodden scarf, added a hat, grabbed my precious new Canon, and dashed out again into the white night.

This morning the scene had changed to the most heartwarming I have seen in a long long time. There is next to no public transport in London today due to the snow and most roads are impassable, so instead of being at work and school everyone had congregated in the park with a fantastically innovative selection of sleds and sled replacements. Two of my favorite being the ironing board and the wok, for pure entertainment value. There were tiny babies, kids, teens and very grownups all playing with equal gusto. Snowball fights, snowmen, and people throwing themselves down the hill on the most bizarre objects, rolling head over heels and climbing back up laughing to go again, all without a thought of whether they were too old or looked funny or... anything.

Here's what Telegraph Hill looked like last night and this morning:


I love snow days.
(And finally having a camera that lets me capture people sliding down hills at speed!)

3 comments:

Ginaagain said...

I'm so glad you posted these pictures! I was thinking of you this morning while listening to the news of London essentially being shut down. Be safe and have fun!

stargazer said...

Love your photos, thank you for posting - you can just see pure joy on some of the faces. Been watching the news here in Singapore and kind of wishing I was there to enjoy the snow...it's been a very long time since I saw any.

SisterJulia said...

Stunning pictures!
I'm glad you treated yourself to that camera!