Monday, 9 February 2009

Fire and life

I hate to admit it, but with the past years of war coverage I've become more than a little numbed to the news and the seemingly endless stories and pictures of death. I gulp and change channels to zone out with something more cheerful. Yet I found today's news unavoidable, and it's been a while since any news story struck me as hard as the fires sweeping Victoria right now. It's hard to fully comprehend such a thing being real and the impact it has, until you see the footage of the fires, the survivors, and the devastation that is left. I'm still finding it hard to grasp the idea of so much loss. Whole communities gone, people and all. So many of those that are left have endured untold horror.

The shock of seeing so much wiped out in the blink of an eye has made me question the value we place on things. I've been trying to clear out the junk in my life, and finding it hard to let go of most of it because it's all so "precious" and of course I never know what I'll miss when it's gone. Looking around my room now, it all pales into insignificance. We spend our lives surrounding ourselves with collections of treasured possessions... and yet they're so impermanent. You never know what lies around the next corner.

For me this is a time to regroup and reassess what I value in my life. What do I want to spend the coming years of my life pursuing? I don't want to define myself by what I own... something I have done quite literally in one of my video projects, without thinking about what that says about my attachment to my belongings. But what does that even mean? I don't know at this point, but I plan to work it out.

I feel helpless watching the nightmare on the other side of the globe from the comfort of my room. I've done what little I can and donated to the Red Cross Victorian Bushfire Appeal to help them do the work that I can't. Other than that, all I have to offer are my hopes and prayers for those affected.

No comments: