Monday, 1 December 2008

Buttons

A year and a halfish ago I began noticing buttons on the pavement as I walked through London. At first I just glanced at them as I bustled past, then for some reason I began picking them up...

Cut to the present, and my collection is over 150 buttons big (I lose count fast), spans five countries and has outgrown several storage containers. I'm teased about my collection by my friends, who have had to get used to the fact that I'll suddenly vanish from sight while we're walking and pop back into vision seconds later holding a button, but some of them are starting to spot them as well and I have 5 donated found buttons which take pride of placement in my jar.

I like my buttons because they're an example of the little things that no one usually notices or, I guess, would normally care about.. I love the fact I have a collection that has naturally and effortlessly found me, but gives me the self-satisfaction that comes with knowing that, even when you're not actually looking for them (which I'm usually not), I'm able to spot a transparent plastic button on a white marble floor, or a tiny black button between two pavement slabs, or a metal button embedded in the soil by the side of a road.

This weekend I found 8 buttons, and another today, so I'm happy. I'll leave you with this weekend's finds:

5 comments:

SisterJulia said...

I love buttons! and the idea of found buttons is just sweet and warm and like loving the little lost things in the world.

This is a lovely post.

AMJONE said...

I second that. I love that something so simple and insignificant to most brings you joy and that as you put it, found you. Thanks for sharing.

Lilly Rose Chen said...

what a curious and yet beautiful post on your button fetish..my family owns a laundromat...I see buttons daily. Would love to send you some...

Lilly Rose Chen said...

p.s. thank you for all of your love and support in my gym endeaver. I've missed two days on my 5 days gym challenge. Going to tray again tomorrow...

Evie said...

Thank you to all of you for your comments!

SisterJulia: Now you've put it that way, I'm going to have to start taking *all* the little lost things I find home so as not to be playing favourites this cold cold winter! I'm not going to have enough space!

Amjone: I think the simple and insignificant things are the greatest, coz if you can find joy in those, think what you can find in the big things!

And Lilly Rose: Laundromat buttons sound very lovely indeed, sounds like the perfect kind of place for me to hide out from time to time :op Good luck in round 2 of your gym challenge!