Friday, 12 December 2008

All the little fishies...

It's amazing how you don't always fully realise how something has affected you until it's past. I woke up today feeling entirely lost. It's like I'd forgotten that life exists outside of work and uni and couldn't remember what I used to do in all that unscheduled time... All I could think of was that I needed to tidy my room and go food shopping, which I refused to let myself spend the day doing. Then for some reason I thought of the London Aquarium. I've walked past it plenty over the past two years and promised myself that one day I'll go inside, a promise I'd never actually fulfilled. Twenty minutes and a bowl of porridge later and I was out the door.

As I walked into the aquarium I realised again just how shell-shocked I've been left from the past couple months of hecticness. The instant I walked into the first tunnel my phone signal cut out and my first thought was panic. Focusing on the tanks around me was impossible because all I could think of was that I was cut off from the world, I should be doing something else, I shouldn't be there wasting time, what was I thinking being there on my own instead of being of some use somewhere.

I took some deep breaths, told myself to cut it out and relax dammit. I found some lovely watery classical music on my ipod and sat against the glass of the shark tank for ages, watching them swim serenely to and fro, and I felt myself calming down at last. After that I had a lovely visit and enjoyed myself greatly. Two and a half hours of strange and wonderful creatures and complete peace, knowing that no one could reach me or knew where I was, and that it didn't matter. It was truly my own time.

I picked my camera up this morning but forgot to put it in my bag, so I had to make pictures the old fashioned way instead. My pencil can't capture the velvet of the sharks' skin, but it was beautiful, so smooth and perfect. As of today I have a new found appreciation of these creatures.


4 comments:

SisterJulia said...

What a lovely way to find some peace and solitude!
I wish you many more peaceful visits...very good for your health and your brain.

Lilly Rose Chen said...

love it!

stargazer said...

There's really nothing like watching fish and the underwater world to calm down and get a bit of peace. Love your drawing!

Secret Wish Jar said...

Oooh, how lovely! There's such magic in observing underwater life, all the vibrant colours and such serenity at the same time.